gtk trouble

Hi,

Building some gnome apps (./configure - I never get to actually
building them) gives an error message complaining about missing gtk+:
"check your installation". I have all gtk packages from RH 6.1 installed.
Have I messed up some environment variables (like GTKDIR, if there is such
a variable)? Where to set them and how? My GTK version seems to be recent
enough, but configure does not find it.

I don't know too much about these things so I'm not quite sure if anyone
can see what I mean... Would be nice to get things right though and get
gnome-print, gfloppy and some other niceties up and running.

JS