Re: Proposal for application menu organization (Was Re: Help requested: more .desktop files.)

Casey Allen Shobe wrote:

> Both gnome and kde have much nicer menu organization, however, I
> propose something simpler, which I have used for years under multiple
> environments, and it works great:
>
> Audio -- (audio/video players/recorders/editors)
> Design -- (text/image/whatever you make editors)
> Games -- (the things you waste time on when you're bored)
> Internet -- (browsers, aim/icq/irc/napster/archie clients, etc)
> System -- (file managers, control center, admin tools, etc)

> What are everyone's thoughts on this?

If this is actually going to be done (doubtful), I say leech off of
Debian's menu system.  It looks like it is very well thought out, and
it's obviously fairly scalable given Debian has > 4000 packages, many of
them with menu entries.

When I used to use the gnome menus I was constantly annoyed by the
misplaced items and the overlapping categories (Applications???
*everything* is an application!).  I rarely experience that frustration
now that I use Debian's menus.

Of course, you Red Hat users may not like having mostly empty
categories. ;-)

Apps
----
Databases