Re: Lost panel

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:34:32 Tobias Klaus wrote:
> I had the same problem. Press /panel/ at the cammand prompt, and you'll
> get a new one, which is the original one without your changes. There may
> be a message that there is one already running (I don't remember
> exactly) - press "yes". The real problem about it is, that your nice
> customisation is gone :-(
> Still, it would be nice, if (a) there would be a better way to deal with
> the problem, or even better (b) not to have this problem. ;-)

This is one of the really irritating things with Gnome, and it really
has to be sorted before Gnome is ready for generaly use by the unsophisticated
user.

What happens is that when the panel starts up it sets the GNOME_PANEL X
property on the display where it is running. If another panel starts up
on the same display, it checks for this property, and if it finds it it
gives you the usual warning message and refuses to save customizations
(because it assumes that there is another panel using the config files).

Unfortunately, if a panel dies unexpectedly, the GNOME_PANEL property
is not removed; the session manager attempts to respawn a panel, but
it acts as if there were a panel still present. This needs a redesign,
along one of the following lines:
(1) the panel should NEVER crash :-)
or (2) there must be some better way than the GNOME_PANEL property to
ensure only one panel per display.