Re: Memory leaks maybe netscape

Hi,

>From your reply and from Havoc one. I found what is going on.

If I close netscape ( no more netscape Windows) I still have some
netscape processes running !! if I kill -9 those processes , of course I
get my memory back. So either Netscape ( v4.61) does not quit gracefully
or the problem lies somewhere in process termination.

Thanks to all for help.

Best regards

GH Portefait

Tom Gilbert wrote:

> * Georges-Henry PORTEFAIT (chewbee@cybercable.fr) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using GNOME on a SUSE  system (pentium II  Mb of RAM)
>
> Only 11 Mb of RAM?
> Or is that 2Mb or RAM in roman numerals?
> ;-)
>
> > I noticed that each time I close netscape ( I.e end the application
> > ) a bit of memory is no longer avalaible. Which means that even if
> > the process is terminated the memory is kind of lost forever. Not
> > quite if I end the gnome session and then leave the X server I'll
> > get my memory back.
>
> How much memory, and which application is growing?
>
> Top is your friend.
>
> Run top, set update speed to 1 (press s 1) and sort by memory (shift
> m) and watch. When you open and close netscape, which application
> grows without shrinking again?
>
> Tom.
> --
>     .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |
>     /V\     |----------------------| www.tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |
>   /(   )\   | www.freshmeat.net www.enlightenment.org www.gnome.org |

"Computer are like air conditionners,
they stop properly when you open windows"

http://www.geekcode.com