Re: RPMS at contrib.redhat.com/rawhide work OK!

* Paul E. Johnson (pauljohn@ukans.edu) wrote:
> I just noticed RPMS for gnome 0.40 in the RedHat contrib site.  All
> except gnorpm installed without a hitch and run ok. I can start capplets
> from the panel now, most applets I tried work fine.  In particular, I
> see the improved performance in gmc and the control center.  Icons are
> pretty too, but that's a matter of taste, I guess.
>
> The gnorpm calls for some packages and I'm afraid to install them before
> I know what they are for.
> # rpm -Uvh gnorpm-0.9-9.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         usermode >= 1.13 is needed by gnorpm-0.9-9
>         librpm.so.0 is needed by gnorpm-0.9-9
> # rpm -Uvh usermode-1.15-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         SysVinit >= 2.74-14 is needed by usermode-1.15-1
>
> So I'm just forgetting about gnorpm for the moment.

Here's what they're for. To calm your fears ;-)

$ rpm -qis usermode
Name: usermode                     Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version: 1.9                               Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release: 1                             Build Date: Mon Apr 12 15:29:47 1999
Install date: Sun Jun 27 21:27:35 1999      Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com
Group: Applications/System           Source RPM: usermode-1.9-1.src.rpm
Size: 101322                           License: GPL
Packager: Red Hat Software <http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla>
The usermode package contains several graphical tools for users:
userinfo, usermount and userpasswd.  Userinfo allows users to change
their finger information.  Usermount lets users mount, unmount, and
format filesystems.  Userpasswd allows users to change their passwords.

Install the usermode package if you would like to provide users with
graphical tools for certain account management tasks.

$ rpm -qis SysVinit
Name: SysVinit                     Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version: 2.74                              Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release: 11                            Build Date: Sat Apr 17 15:29:06 1999
Install date: Thu May 27 22:28:46 1999      Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com
Group: System Environment/Base       Source RPM: SysVinit-2.74-11.src.rpm
Size: 154850                           License: GPL
Packager: Red Hat Software <http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla>
The SysVinit package contains a group of processes that
control the very basic functions of your system. SysVinit is
the first program started by the Linux kernel when the
system boots, controlling the startup, running and shutdown
of all other programs.

You'll probably need rpm-devel for librpm.so.0

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |