Re: db2html

Raja R Harinath wrote:

> Dan Hensley <dan.hensley@att.net> writes:
> > allbery@ece.cmu.edu wrote:
> > >
> > > More specifically, gnome-core/gnome-terminal/no fails to build; it
> > > unconditionally requires db2html.
> >
> > I'm not sure why it fails to build--I don't have db2html either, but
> > I haven't had any problems compiling--I just don't get help files.
> > By the way, good luck getting this question answered.  The FAQ is
> > pretty sparse on this subject, and looking through the past few
> > months, I've noticed that the question has come up several times,
> > with (almost?) no responses.  I recall seeing one response that was
> > basically to create a simple script wrapper around jade, but now I
> > can't seem to find it.
>
> For Linux, you can get `db2html' from:
>
>   * DocBook RPMs at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/docbook-tools/
>   * `cygnus-stylesheets' package on Debian
>   * I think a package called `sgmltools-2' for SuSE
>
> For other systems, here's my homegrown `db2html' and DSSSL driver file
> that customizes the "Norman Walsh Modular DocBook DSSSL Stylesheets".
> (This assumes that you already have a sane SGML setup, with all the
> right catalog files, and of course, the DocBook stylesheets).

First of all, thank you very much for replying and posting this info!

I think I have a sane SGML setup (I followed the directions on one of the web
pages and made sure the sample problems set up ok.  But to get things to work
right I had to remove the following line from your .dsl file:
;; Modular DocBook Stylesheets <URL:http://nwalsh.com>

Otherwise I got this:
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/db2x/docbook-html-override.dsl:10:35:E: character ":" not
allowed in attribute specification list
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/db2x/docbook-html-override.dsl:10:35:E: element "URL"
undefined
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/db2x/docbook-html-override.dsl:17:26:E: end tag for "URL"
omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/db2x/docbook-html-override.dsl:10:31: start tag was here

Is this an indication that I don't have a sane environment?  I have no
idea--DocBook isn't exactly the easiest thing to set up and understand.  I have
no idea why the Gnome people decided to go this route for documentation.  It
seems like needless headaches for everyone.

Thanks again,
Dan