Re: ps/tt fonts in gnome apps

> I wasn't so much planning on X making those fonts available, but rather
> the applications themselves using the same fonts that X does, and then
> possibly using X's prior knowledge of them for simpler display.  It seems
> logical to me to say "Hey, gnumeric, X is using the fonts in THIS
> directory.  You should too."

This is part of the installation process of GnomePrint.  Note that
most X fonts are not suitable for using in printing, so Gnumeric does
not use them

> Where is this documented?  How can I "install" these fonts into gnumeric
> and abiword?

Abiword has its own documentation.  Gnumeric uses gnome-print, and
gnome-print in turms uses a program called gnome-font-install which is
used to scan the fonts on the system.

Yes, we need a man page, but nobody has voluntereed so far.

> Will gnome-print be used more widely in gnome applications
> in the future?

Yes.

>  Adding fonts to a central place to make them accessible to
> all gnome applications is one step closer to my dream of all X
> applications.

That is our goal.

> I hate comparing unix to windows and macintosh, but it does
> seem like this is one area where unix really does come up short.

It does, that is why we have been working steadily in GnomePrint.

Miguel.
--
miguel@gnu.org