GTK For Game Programming?

I'm undertaking the development of a simple game as a first Linux
programming project (newbie alert!).

The game is sort of a realtime version of "Risk", though the differences
in play make that comparison a huge stretch.  About the only similarity
is that the game environment is a 2-D map of the world, and the goal of
the game is to conquer the world.  Not a particularly CPU-intensive app
by any stretch.

I've previously done versions of this for Windoze, DOS, and the MacOS, so
I'm mostly just developing the native interface and recycling the
portable backend code.

Anyway, I'm considering using GTK for the user interface, and I was just
wondering if anyone had any comments on whether this was a good idea or
not.  Anyone listening have experience doing this sort of thing?

The other option seems to be to go with ClanLib, which doesn't sound too
bad from what I've read about it so far.

Thanks...

-Roy