Re: [Fwd: Re: gdm2 logs me into a non-graphics session]

Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Dan Hensley wrote:
>
> > > If you want to get the gdm-2.0beta2-5 package from RH Rawhide, that has at
> > > least some of these bugs fixed. I'll try to get these merged with mkp
> > > asap, but in the meantime you may want to install the Rawhide package, or
> > > at least apply the patches contained in it to your local tree.
> >
> > I couldn't find it as an SRPM (I've installed gnome only from source
> > .tar.gz packages), so I grabbed a tarball of the latest CVS and
> > installed it over my gdm2-beta2 directory.  This version gave me the
> > identical behavior as before.  Is it time to submit a bug report, or
> > are there other installation issues that could cause what's happening?
>
> Rawhide != Latest CVS, but apparently the Rawhide tree isn't currently as
> new as the latest Lorax beta.
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/lorax/SRPMS/SRPMS/gdm-2.0beta2-5.src.rpm

I grabbed this RPM and compiled and installed it, and now it won't let me log in
as root at all, and normal user logins give the same problem as before.  So I
think what I'm seeing is much closer to what others have been reporting recently,
but it still doesn't work.  Is anyone out there using it successfully?

I can't help but wonder if the reason I can't log in as a normal user has
something to do with permissions?  It acts as though it's trying (login prompt
goes away, screen goes black, brief pause, then back out), but it can't get in.
Is there a log file I can look at to see what's happening?

Dan