[Fwd: Re: gdm2 logs me into a non-graphics session]

I sent this last night, but it never came through.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: gdm2 logs me into a non-graphics session
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 19:13:00 -0600
From: Dan Hensley <dan.hensley@worldnet.att.net>
To: gnome-list@gnome.org

Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Dan Hensley wrote:
>
> >     I'm trying to get gdm2 beta 2 working on my RH5.1 system, and I'm
> > having a bit of trouble.  After checking a few things, I replaced the
> > xdm line in /etc/iniitab with gdm and rebooted.  It starts up with
> > gdmlogin (although no user icons--should I be expecting any?).  But from
> > here if I try to log in as anything but root, it acts like it tries, but
> > then returns back to the gdmlogin window.  If I log in as root, it kills
> > X and goes to the text login screen, asking for my login.
> >     I must confess I don't fully understand how gdm works, but can
> > anyone give me some clues as to what's happening?  Is there any other
> > documentation (besides what comes with gdm2) that better explains the
> > whole process?
>
> It "has bugs". :)
>
> If you want to get the gdm-2.0beta2-5 package from RH Rawhide, that has at
> least some of these bugs fixed. I'll try to get these merged with mkp
> asap, but in the meantime you may want to install the Rawhide package, or
> at least apply the patches contained in it to your local tree.

I couldn't find it as an SRPM (I've installed gnome only from source
.tar.gz
packages), so I grabbed a tarball of the latest CVS and installed it
over my
gdm2-beta2 directory.  This version gave me the identical behavior as
before.  Is it time to submit a bug report, or are there other
installation
issues that could cause what's happening?

Thanks,
Dan