Help.

I have a problem and I don't know if it is related to gome or not. Earlier
today I was having a problems with Gnome and Enlightenment and was messing
with my settings when my X session crashed on me.  I tried logging back in
and it wouldn't let me, I would just get kicked back to the X login screen
(I start X automatically).  Since I was messing with Gnome when it happened
I thought it was a Gnome problem.  I removed my ~/.gnome/session file to no
avail.  I tried loging in as root to see if it was an X problem, that worked
fine.  Eventually, after much frustration I removed the entire ~/.gnome
tree, that didn't help.  I put a date > .xsession-date to see if it was
bieng executed, as far as I can tell it wasn't.  Finally I gave up and
decided to change the runlevel to 3 reboot and try and trap what was going
on. (By the way, is there a way to stop the automatic session when you boot
into runlevel 5 or to start an X login when you boot into runlevel 3?)  I
did a startx and when it dropped out it reported a segmentation vilation.
This was not enough to tell me what was wrong.  I did this a couple more
time and the result was the same.  I tried loging in as root again to see
what would happen and it worked.  I later tried to log back in as myself
and, miracle of miracles, it worked.  After a while I decided (read hoped)
that the problem had gone away or "fixed itself" since I did nothing
different this time.  I changed the runlevel back to 5 and rebooted.  My
problem came back.  Now I'm still in the same boat, root can login but I
get kicked back to login whenever I login as myself.

Any thoughts on the nature of the problem or how to fix it would be greatly
apreciated.

					-Govind Salinas