panel sessions

Hi, my panel has just died.. Again..
I'm not sure how I killed it today.. Something to do with an applet I think,
but no, I can't reproduce it..  What I would like to know, is how do I
rescue my panel session?  I'm am getting sick of re-adding all the applets I
use and getting it to look how I like.  So.. how - oh how - can I save my
panel session so that I can just drop it back in place after a panel crash?

Perhaps some system of automatically keeping a backup of the current panel
session would be handy..

Thanks
Matt