Re: Problems with URL Handler selection (how can I get gnome-moz-remote to call a newer ver. of Netscape?) --please help!

> The new version of Netscape is installed in
> /usr/local/netscape (the default path for it), but changing the
> text/html action in the MIME settings to
> "/usr/local/netscape/netscape %f" prevents me from opening .html
> files from double-clicking.  I get a message which says "The file ...
> could not be opened with /usr/local/netscape/netscape %f."  Note that
> the original entry (which I've been forced to put back) in this MIME
> panel was "gnome-moz-remote --newwin %f."

    quite often the netscape file is just a link to another file hidden
somewhere stupid. I know Redhat do it (or did at least), because giving
commands like --remote never got passed through it.

> Also, and I think more importantly, I noticed that in the URL
> Handlers section, under default, the command "gnome-moz-remote
> - --newwin %s" was listed.

gnome-moz-remote is a program that will run netscape if it's not already
running, or if it is running, will use the --remote command to just open a
new window (so that you don't get the "Netscape has detected a lock file
error"). Using gnome-moz-remote is a better idea than using just netscape.

Iain