Re: Running GNORPM as root

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 08:03:45PM -0400, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 07:21:43PM -0400, Rebecca Ore wrote:

> > > Is your DISPLAY env variable set correctly?
> > >
> > > Try, just "su" without the dash (su -) and then run gnorpm.
> >
> > Looks like downgrading to rpm-3.0.0 and rebuilding, then rebooting did
> > something useful, or typing su after su'ing into root did something.
> >
> > I dunno.  I did reboot in and out of this when helping a friend install a new
> > hard drive on this machine and I had been getting the error earlier, too.
> > Combination of things, I suppose.
>
> Now, it's dumping again.  Arrgh.

Like Tom Gilbert and others have noted, most probably your problem
is that either root's DISPLAY variable is not set correctly (it
should be set to :0), or your Xserver is refusing connections from
localhost. So as rebecca, try

$ xhost +localhost

and as root do

$ setenv DISPLAY :0

if you use csh/tcsh, or

$ DISPLAY=:0

if you use bash. Now try gnorpm (or for that matter, any other program
that uses X, such as glint, or netscape, or xv... I suppose those
have stopped working too as root).

I admit that it is not very elegant for GTK to dump core whenever a
connection to the Xserver is refused.

Ronald