Re: ALS and an observation

Please remember that GNOME is not just Linux based. I have just switched
to using GNOME 1.0.53 on Solaris x86 and  this was the first time it was
stable Solaris x86. Previousy I have been using CDE. Now it is stable
people are putting binary packages up for download
(ftp://fishbutt.fiver.net/pub/solarisx86/). This is all important for
spreading the good news about GNOME. It is a real big package to
download, compile and install. So binary packages are important for all
architectures not just Linux.

There has been binary versions of KDE for a long time (well over a
year)  which were stable.  GNOME has only just become stable on Solaris
(well x86 anyway) and only with the release of enlightenment 0.16.0 is
the window manager stable on this platform. I will say that in the last
couple of weeks there has been a heavy interest in moving to GNOME now
there is a binary version available. If things keep improving as they
have GNOME will take over from KDE as in my opinion it is much more
advanced.

Just a  reminder to remember that there are other people interested in
GNOME apart from Linux people. I run Linux on my laptop and it is really
nice to have GNOME running on all my machines. This was were the power
of KDE was. More and more it is becoming a possibility to run GNOME on
all unix boxes from freebsd to Solaris to Linux to SCO. This has to be a
major step forward but relieability is also an issue with GNOME and this
gets better and better as time goes along.

Keep up the good work, GNOME has an awesome future.

Dave

--
Email: mailto:grindrod@ihug.co.nz
HTML Home Page: http://www.NMR.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/grindrod/