Re: ALS and an observation

At 11:05 PM 10/20/99 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>This really wasn't my impression, though Gnotices-clone KDE Forum is
>saying the same thing. They claim only the Red Hat booth had Gnome, but I
>_know_ it was in the VA booth, the Sun booth, and the FSF booth. I also
>know I saw it in multiple other booths but I don't remember which they
>were for sure. Of course it wasn't running in the SuSE or Corel booths.
>The vast majority of booths had neither desktop, often because they had no
>computers, but sometimes because they had E or WindowMaker. Anyway I would
>be willing to bet money that the GNOME-KDE split was nearly even at ALS.

Yeah, RedHat had it, and I saw many a boxen with GNOME running, but I saw
more running KDE...  What were the boxes for public use running?  I never
used one.

>Man, our marketing blows. All the GNOME hackers were at ALS, we had some
>good conversations and planning, but KDE is the one with the big press
>release and feature article on LinuxToday. I really wish we could just
>hack and not think about this crap, but we want people to use our code!

Well, were hackers, not marketing gurus;)  On a good note, I was reading PC
Magazine yesterday and there was a small article about Linux and how the
2.4 release of the 'operating system' as they call it, was going to give
some great changes.  Then on went the spatter about MS finding Linux as a
valid competitor.  A comment about how the desktop and GUIs were catching
up on Linux was talking about GNOME, KDE wasn't even mentioned.  I was
happy;)

Cory Watson
Computer Cafe Internet Services