Re: ALS and an observation

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Cory Watson wrote:

> I roved around the floor today and saw a huge number of computers running
> linux, most of which where running KDE, not GNOME.  I was kind of
> disappointed.  I stopped by the GNOME booth a time or two, and would've

This really wasn't my impression, though Gnotices-clone KDE Forum is
saying the same thing. They claim only the Red Hat booth had Gnome, but I
_know_ it was in the VA booth, the Sun booth, and the FSF booth. I also
know I saw it in multiple other booths but I don't remember which they
were for sure. Of course it wasn't running in the SuSE or Corel booths.
The vast majority of booths had neither desktop, often because they had no
computers, but sometimes because they had E or WindowMaker. Anyway I would
be willing to bet money that the GNOME-KDE split was nearly even at ALS.

Man, our marketing blows. All the GNOME hackers were at ALS, we had some
good conversations and planning, but KDE is the one with the big press
release and feature article on LinuxToday. I really wish we could just
hack and not think about this crap, but we want people to use our code!

Havoc