Add Swallowed App is a bit misleading (was Re: Pagers

James Henstridge wrote:

> Try adding a swallowed app to the panel (right click on panel, choose add
> to panel then swallowed app).  Set the title to the title of the pager
> window, and the width and height to what you want.  Don't set a command,
> as we don't want the panel to start the application.  Click OK, then get
> fvwm to start the pager.  The panel should swallow the pager.
>
> James.

holy cow!  Thanks for the tip.  I've crashed the panel half a dozen
times trying to swallow mount.app, my favorite dockapp. Where is
swallowing documented (no smart alec remarks please)?  I eventually saw
this note and followed James's steps to get it to work under Sawmill,
which I like better every day.

1. Start the mount.app with the -n option to let it know you are not in
window maker
$mount.app -n &
2. Note the name of the app that appears in the gnome pager tasklist.
That is just "mount".
3. In panel, choose add swallowed app, and set the title as "mount".  I
increased the display to 64x64.  Do not enter anything for "command".
Somehow, quite magically, mount.app hops down to the panel.

I think the misleading thing is the terminology in the pager "add
swallowed app".  Perhaps it is more clear to say "swallow existing
window".

--
Paul E. Johnson        			email: pauljohn@ukans.edu
Dept. of Political Science     		http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn