Re: GNOME and Solaris x86

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 grindrod@netscape.net wrote:

> Well I have solved some of my problems with GNOME and Solaris x86 but
> these still leave problems. Anyway my system is as follows
>
> SunOS dkg3 5.7 Generic_106542-07 i86pc i386 i86pc
>
> Reading specs from
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.7/2.95.1/specs
> gcc version 2.95.1 19990816 (release)
>
> 1. The main problem I had was not getting the control conter to start.
> This I have seen is also being observed by other people. The really
> strange thing is that it would not start with GNOME but would with CDE.
> Well it gave the same error  that other people have been seen and
> reporting. In my case it was askin for /usr/local/gnome/share. A long
> time ago I installed in /usr/local/gnome. I gave up on this and
> installed it in /usr/local as it was easier. Anyway I have installed
> many times since then and yet it still uses some configurations file
> from this defunct installation. Does anyone know what this file is so
> people can remove it before they install?
>
> I got around the problem by linking /usr/local/ to /usr/local/gnome and
> everything is happy. The latest install with the latest software was
> compiled and installed as root as in the Solaris instructions.

If you're trying to build GNOME programs with a different --prefix than
gnome-libs, that would be your problem.

> 3. Sonud does not  seem to work at all on Solaris x86 at all. I am not
> using the OSS drivers but the Sun supplied drivers and a soundblaster
> pro. How can I trace the problem further?

It would be somewhere in esound - there is a Solaris driver, I know.

> I have one other question about GNOME. How can I configure the fonts
> and menus and window edges etc which are suitable for my large
> resolution and monitor size, 1600x1024 and 21" monitor (yes I know I
> am lucky). At the moment everything is too small to use.

Make sure you're using 100dpi fonts - they help a lot.

-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.