Re: Still having trouble with sound in Gnome

Elliot Lee wrote:

> > Below I've attached a complete copy of an strace of esd -nobeeps (generated
> > today), and it's not using TCP sockets.  It's using UNIX sockets, so I don't
> > think this is the problem.  That previous strace was probably from esdplay,
> > because it looks like it tries to connect via TCP sockets before opening
> > /dev/dsp directly.  I can send you an strace of that if you'd like.
>
> esd the server is using UNIX sockets only, and all esd clients are using
> TCP sockets only, and there's no obvious reason why.

But then it stands to reason that if I start esd with -tcp, then both should be
using TCP sockets and sound should play.  This isn't the case.  Maybe the problem
in this case is that my system won't authorize connections through TCP.  But that
won't explain why the clients won't talk through a UNIX socket.  I guess I have
to go through esdplay source now, but how do the clients decide where to talk
to?  Do they look for a /tmp/.esd/socket?  I assume Gnome talks directly through
libesd calls.  If so, then how do those functions decide where to talk?

Dan