Re: Still having trouble with sound in Gnome

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Dan Hensley wrote:

> Elliot Lee wrote:
>
> > >     Here's part of an strace output of esd, right after it gets done
> > > playing the startup tones but before I kill it.  Can anyone tell me if
> > > this looks right?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure I already pointed out that trying to connect to the TCP/IP
> > port and not trying the UNIX socket. AFAIK nobody else can reproduce the
> > problem.
>
> Below I've attached a complete copy of an strace of esd -nobeeps (generated
> today), and it's not using TCP sockets.  It's using UNIX sockets, so I don't
> think this is the problem.  That previous strace was probably from esdplay,
> because it looks like it tries to connect via TCP sockets before opening
> /dev/dsp directly.  I can send you an strace of that if you'd like.

esd the server is using UNIX sockets only, and all esd clients are using
TCP sockets only, and there's no obvious reason why.

-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.