Re: october upgrade rpm weirdness?

I ran into the same problem.  I also tried the 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm', but that spit
out a bunch of errors, so I just did them one at a time.  I would initially
try 'rpm -Uvh package_name.rpm' and if it gave me an error like that, I would
then retry it using 'rpm -Uvh package_name.rpm --nodeps' which stops it from
checking for dependencies.  I would always try it first without the 'nodeps'
tag, so that I could make sure that it was only a base/devel conflict that was
occuring, not some other package.

You'll notice that you can't upgrade either package first, because the
dependency will fail.  Using the 'nodeps' tag will get you past the hump, but
just be careful you don't miss some other obscure dependency.  Again, I ALWAYS
did it without the 'nodeps' first, just to see what packages it needed first.
If the resulting error was like yours (where the devel package needed the
base) I would do it again with the 'nodeps' tag, then upgraded the devel
package next.  If it gave an error with the devel package AND some other
package, I go upgrade the other package first, then try again.

All that being said, it is a very time-consuming process to do them by hand,
so you'd probably be a lot faster off by fiddling with things until you can
get the upgrade command to work with some wildcards in it!

Good luck!