Re: Gnome PPP dial-up problems

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 01:54:12 , Jonathan wrote:
"Well, I did the setuid on pppd (which is located at /usr/sbin/ not just
/sbin) but as soon as I click on "connect" I get the error that the "pppd
daemon has died"  pap-secrets seems fine also, besides I wouldn't expect
that to cause a problem until I was trying to authenticate. This is
immediate, upon pressing connect. :-( could the location of pppd be the
problem?"

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 08:47:42, Dave Reed replied:
" 2. the permisions on the file that /dev/modem links to may need to be 644
(it may not since pppd is suid, but it won't hurt if all your users should
have access to the modem)."

I reply here:
This is very important.  Jonathan is seeing an IMMEDIATE kill of pppd on
clicking the "Connect" button.  An immediate kill of pppd when using
gnome-ppp is almost always caused by modem troubles.  /dev/modem (or
/dev/ttyS1, dev/ttyS2,  etc. - i.e.: whatever device you are using for your
modem and specifying in gnome-ppp) must have permissions opened up (666) for
all users in order to make things work.
Also, I've never put anything in my pap-secrets file, since gnome-ppp saves
userid and password information to a config file in a subdirectory off of
the user's home directory (this is really quite a beautiful idea - keeping
your userid and password secure in your home directory rather than putting
it in the pap-secrets file where others may find it!).
See Jay Painter's EzPPP HowTo.  EzPPP was the Qt predecessor to gnome-ppp,
but the preliminaries are the same to make the program work.  Here is the
link:
http://www.serv.net/~cameron/ezppp/howto.html

Good luck.

William F. Helke
bill.helke@cp.novartis.com

When bitching about free software, please consider the
 alternatives.