Gnome on Debian 2.1

I'm new to Linux and am running Debian 2.1 from CDs.

I wanted to try out Gnome but the CDs didn't seem to
have enough stuff to do so.  I used apt-get to get
the needed pieces via http, but many of them said
the installation failed do to a missing xlib6g, which
is installed.

Frustrated I used apt-get to get a new version of apt
and now the error message is better and says it needs an
xlib6g version >= 3.3.5 and I have 3.3.2.3a-ll installed.

Will there be any problem with using the 3.3.5 version
of xlib6g as it must be newer than what was used
with all the stuff from the CDs?

-- Doug