Desktop Icons

When I did a fresh install of RedHat 6.1 I was able to see some Icons, on
the desktop.  I messed with my .gnome/session file to get it
working properly, and I deleted something that has gotten rid of the
icons, although i still have entries in my .gnome-desktop directory.  I
think it was magicdev.  How can I get those Icon's back?

As a follow-up is there a way to specify icon placement for these icons
within the XWindow?

I'd again appreciate any assistance.

Brian E. Seppanen 	     	/|   lake superior
seppanen@bresnanlink.net       / \     _
Ishpeming, Michigan	     <    ^X--~ ~\
"North of Nowhere"	      ~-+   ;-:.  }
	                         \/~    ~'