Re: gnome-pager in gnome-applets CVS...

Mike Bond wrote:

> Sorry to bring up an "old" subject, but...
>
> I just noticed that gnome-pager has been taken out of the default build
> and distribution in CVS as of October 22. Only noticed it now as I did a
> completely clean install of everything. Why has this been done? I recall
> a couple discussions comparing gnome-pager and deskguide/tasklist but
> didn't realize that gnome-pager was no longer going to be
> built/distributed automatically with gnome-applets. Personally I don't
> mind deskguide but I really dislike tasklist, and I also dislike taking
> twice the memory for the same functionality, the deskguide/tasklist
> applets each consume roughly the same memory as the gnome-pager,
> contrary to certain beliefs that they should each be smaller on their
> own. Bottom line is that it would be nice if gnome-pager got added back
> to the default build/distro of gnome-applets, even if it is not the
> default.
>
> --
> TTFN
> MikeB

OK, as the author of tasklist I'd _really_ like to know why you dislike
tasklist? Just saying that it's bad doesn't do much good. Saying _why_
it's bad, what features you like, what features you don't like would
help me a lot.

You should also keep in mind that 1.1 is an UNSTABLE version with
UNTESTED code. All features aren't implemented yet, but we're working on
it.

You also complain about the memory issues. First of all we plan to
replace the existing WM interaction code with gwmh which both desk-guide
and tasklist uses. That'll allow for the code to be shared. We also plan
to make the desk-guide and the tasklist a multi-applet and that'll
reduce memory usage even more. However, this won't be done until
tasklist and desk-guide are fully debugged.

If you don't like living on the bleeding edge you're free to use October
GNOME with gnome-pager.

//andersca
andersca@gnu.org