Re: RPM for gnome-libs 1.0.54?

Raul Acevedo <raul@cantara.com> writes:

> Unfortunately, RedHat decided long ago that RPMs would put things in places
> different than a standard tarball install would.  So, doing the above
> simply does not work if you have installed things from RPM.  It is a royal
> pain, a very bad decision, and one of the main problems with RPM.

FWIW, distributions have been doing things that way for much longer
than RPM has been around.  Most tarballs put things in /usr/local, and
distributions are not supposed to put things in /usr/local.
Furthermore, tarballs can choose to put their files anywhere they
want, and distributions tend to fix things so they follow the FHS.

(Me, I think that the fact that you can run configure and have it
_not_ install things in a working matter is a bug, but that's just
me.)

Deprive a mirror of its silver and even the Czar won't see his face.