RPM for gnome-libs 1.0.54?

I've been looking and can't seem to find an RPM for gnome-libs 1.0.54.
Supposedly libs 1.0.54 will fix the sound problem I'm having with gnome
after I upgraded to 1.0.53.

Maybe a more basic question is, isn't there a way to make an RPM from a
tarball? I seem to remember something about it, but I've never tried.
I downloaded the gnome-libs 1.0.54 tarball, but haven't done anything
with it yet.  I like doing things with RPM's instead of tarball since it
makes it easier to know what I've got install using RPM's query
function.

Anyways, if anyone can give me a quick pointer, I'll be on my way...