Anyone figured out why gtop (October GNOME) is crashing on exit?

Ever since I upgraded my video card, and hence could use pixmap themes
without too much of a performance hit, gtop has been crashing on exit. Gtop
also crashes when you click "OK" or "Apply" in the Properties dialog box.
This behavior does not occur when I'm using a theme that doesn't use the
pixmap engine.

System: Pentium II Linux Mandrake 6.1
Gnome version: October Gnome, Redhat rpms from ftp.gnome.org

About a dozen bug reports of this bug have filled the gtop bug list.

I ran gtop in gdb, and found that gtop was segfaulting in theme_image_unref
(in pixmap_theme_main.c, line 751 in the gtk-engines package). I sent the
output of gdb to bugs.gnome.org (I don't have it with me, but it doesn't say
much more than this). No core file is created on my machine, so I can't do
an strace.

A similar bug is also being triggered by Mozilla. See Bug 1389 for more
details.

Anyone have any ideas what's causing this? It's real weird that only two
applications are being affected.

Thanks!

Andrew