Re: File manager tree.

Michael Rogers wrote:

> Would it be possible to have the left and right panes of a file manager
> window switchable between tree/icons/short list/custom list? Also, I
> think drop-down location menus (like the GTK file selector) would be
> more useful than a web-browser-style toolbar. The "Up" button is
> redundant and the "Back" and "Forward" buttons are rarely useful.

I agree on all your above suggestions.  You can push the web browser concept
too far...

I prefer the traditional "mc" model to the "explorer" model.  Especially if
you are doing alot of copying files around I find the "explorer" model hard
to use.  I know everyone will say "open two instances of gmc" but I find the
moving and organizing of windows so painful that I just use the text base
version of mc anyways.  Besides I can't fit two instances of gmc side by
side on my monitor at the resolution I am running.  Also if you are working
with archives the two file pane approach makes things really nice to deal
with as well (have an opened archive in one pane and the local system in
another pane).

I have even started working on developing my own file manager in my spare
time using wxWindows (hopefully being able to compile for both Linux and
Windows) so I can have all the features I love on both Linux and Windows but
I haven't gotten very far yet because I am finding it hard to find much time
to work on it.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents worth...

Mike