Re: A Gnome event manager?

>> This ties into an idea that was discussed a while back about a
>> user-notification system for various events, similar to biff. (some
>> sort of biff protocol).

I think it makes more sense to approach it as a generic event
distribution service, and not purely a user-notification service.

There can always be an application which listens for and notifies the
user of events in which the user is interested.  Such events are a
subset of all the interesting events that occur.

We used such an event bus in the IDE I worked on here in 1997.  The
basic idea works quite well.  For instance, when the build manager
notices that an executable has been rebuilt, it generates an event.
The debugger can then use this event to reload the executable.

>> Then many different programs could use it like the examples you
>> gave, but instead of having one monster handle-every-scenario event
>> manager, it would be in components that would be easy to manage.

I think it might be better to have a centralized service that does
filtering in the server.  Then a listener isn't tied to any particular
client -- it can receive events without knowing whether or not an
event source has been activated.

Tom