Re: The State Of The Art

"Patrick Kirk" <patrick@kirks.net> wrote:
>Sorry - nice idea but sounds a little like innovation for its
>own sake.
That's certainly not the intention.

>We want a desktop that works and that we can work
>with with.  The desktop metaphor works.
There's considerable doubt about that in the UI community.  The desktop
metaphor compares your screen to the physical surface of a desk.  Yet your
screen does not behave like your desk at all - it's dynamic, coloured and
you can flip between multiple desktops, each of which could be larger than
the actual screen dimensions.  My proposition is to follow the way in which
the desktop metaphor has been extended (in which process it's been broken)
and see where it goes.

>The sphere metaphor is, well, pointless.  Why bother?
Because there are good usability reasons for doing it.  Otherwise, yeah,
there's no point in bothering.

dr geek