Re: The State Of The Art

>>Excuse me, but where is this different from what we have these days?
>The difference is that existing virtual desktops are flat and rectangular.
>A wraparound desktop is new, especially if it's conceptually spherical (or
>tubular).  It's like you're sitting inside a sphere, in a chair at the
>center of it.  The walls of the sphere are where your work sits; open
>documents for Project A over there, xterms to all the systems over *there*,
>xconsole down *there*, etc, etc.  You just spin the chair around so that
>you're looking at the section of the desktop that you're concentrating on at
>the moment.

Sorry, but FVWM2 can do near all that. I call it the MultiWindow PacMan
Config. One of my configs has 2*5 pages (yes, 2 wide, 5 tall, 10 total ;] )
virtual desktop. I have set edge resistance values to low settings and have
enabled wrap arround (windows in the left do not appear in the right, so not
visual wrap but mouse wrap). I can move my viewport with the FVWMPager to
any point I want. So the only it does not do is auto centering... but maybe
I could do that to. So many ideas to test, so few time.

I guess autocentering can be coded in the config. Only visual wrap is the
thing I have not heard anywhere. It will require source hacking, I guess.

I am sure other WMs can do similar things too, maybe not all. I (we?) just
need a WM with the look of E (pix) + FVWM (internal engine), the config
files of Window Maker (look like C last time I checked) and the flexibility
of FVWM2 (really weird tricks sometimes).

Please read your WM man page. And visit themes.org. With this two things I
have learned a lot about WM tricks. I hope to go back to WM testing this
summer, maybe I can found a WM that really suits me. There are lot of new
versions to play with.

Any other GUI ideas?

GSR