Re: The State Of The Art

fritz jetzek <fritz.jetzek@cycosmos.de> wrote:
>first of all i don't think it's very constructive mocking
>about people
>with 'new' ideas however weird they may seem at first. i have a bad
>feeling about the linux desktop re-coding already existing standards-
>you may have had the same experience when you showed your
>gnome-desktop
>to winusers and first reply you got was 'eh looks like
>windows, doesn't
>it? do those linux folks actually *have* to
>re-implement everything?'.
It's interesting that I have a Linux system running Gnome/Enlightenment on
my desk at work next to my Wintel PC and the initial comments are more "what
the hell is that?".  However, I've had discussions with my colleagues along
those very lines; why not take the opportunity to go one step better.

>uhm... one more point. it may be a bit inappropriate to send a
>mail with
>some personal opinions/ideas and starting it with two dozen lines of
>self-descriptions ("i'm a hacker of many years") muahahaha =)
>(maybe you
>should rather contribute to the unix community by coding rather than
>pretending to code ;)
Hmmm... for those of us who work in the close-source community, are we to be
ranked lower because our several millions lines of Unix-based C are not Open
Source?  Much of my coding was done before the OSS movement came on the
scene, and my present employer is considering but has not made any decision
on an OSS approach.  The point was not to advertise myself, just to point
out that I'm making serious suggestions.  And yes, I am prepared to work on
this stuff by writing code for Gnome.

>excuse my bad english.
>fritz
Not so bad as my German :-)