Re: Anyone successfully using `gbuild' ?

Stephen Rust <steve@tp.org> writes:

> What sorts of problems are you having?  If there's any way it can be made
> easier to get started, I'd like to hear about it.  Its possible to use
> successfully.  I have it scripted to run one command, and rebuild the
> whole gnome tree.  Is it compile time problems, cvs problems, finding
> things in correct directories?  Let me know how I can help.
>
> Steve

  Sorry if I appeared a little negative here without proffering any
specifics, I was a little frustrated after a couple of hours
attempting to generate SRPMS of various gnome packages using `gbuild'.

  The first surprise (I know it says it'll do it in the doc :-)), was
that in attempting to build a `test' RPM with a command line that went
something like:

`gbuild  -c glib --tar --spec --rpm'

  `make-install' was run, propagating the components to /usr. This was
undesirable given that the whole object of the exercise was to install
the given package's components in a controlled fashion via RPM.

  The output looks like this with `-v' :

# PATH=/usr/local/src/gbuild:$PATH gbuild -v -c glib --tar --spec --rpm
gbuild: loading settings from /root/.gbuildrc
gbuild: using optlist --disable-static
gbuild: using optlist --disable-static --prefix=/opt/gnome
gbuild: using optlist --disable-static --prefix=/opt/gnome --disable-threads
gbuild: using optlist --disable-static --prefix=/opt/gnome --disable-threads --disable-nls
gbuild: directory re-set to /usr/local/src/gnome_cvs
gbuild: ioprefix re-set /usr/local/src/gbuild
gbuild: cdprefix re-set /usr/local/src/BUILD
gbuild: using compilelist glib
gbuild: --tar option
gbuild: --spec (autospec) option
gbuild: --rpm option
gbuild: Reading packages from /usr/local/src/gbuild/PARTS
gbuild: compiling module(s)
gbuild: compiling glib
gbuild: bypassing rules in /root/.gbuildrc
        ^^^^ Why?
gbuild: using optlist --disable-static
gbuild: using optlist --disable-static --prefix=/usr
gbuild: using optlist --disable-static --prefix=/usr --disable-threads
gbuild: using optlist --disable-static --prefix=/usr --disable-threads --disable-nls
gbuild: directory re-set to /usr/local/src/gnome_cvs
gbuild: ioprefix re-set /usr/local/src/gbuild
gbuild: cdprefix re-set /usr/local/src/BUILD
gbuild: directory re-set to /usr/local/src/gnome_cvs
gbuild: ioprefix re-set /usr/local/src/gbuild
gbuild: cdprefix re-set /usr/local/src/BUILD
        ^^^^ All the above look fine.
gbuild: using compilelist glib
gbuild: Reading packages from /usr/local/src/gbuild/PARTS
gbuild: compiling module(s)
gbuild: building glib
gbuild: glib installed
        ^^^^ Whoops (should have read the docs a little more)
gbuild: glib done
gbuild: glib build completed
gbuild: compile complete
gbuild: compile complete
gbuild: Building rpms for module(s)
        ^^^^ Hang on, you haven't built the SPEC yet?
gbuild: /usr/local/src/gbuild/glib.spec doesn't exist
        ^^^^ Shouldn't that be /usr/local/src/gbuild/spec/glib.spec?
head: ./spec/glib.spec: No such file or directory
head: ./spec/glib.spec: No such file or directory
File is not a regular file: /usr/local/src/gbuild/spec/glib.spec

  The output of the compile etc. went to `/usr/local/src/gbuild' and
not its subdir `log', no spec file was generated, no tar. I don't know
why the `gbuild: bypassing rules in /root/.gbuildrc'

~/.buildrc:-

 GLOBAL="-opt --disable-static --prefix=/opt/gnome --disable-threads --disable-nls -d /usr/local/src/gnome_cvs  -sd /usr/local/src/gbuild  -cd /usr/local/src/BUILD"
EXCLUDES="ORBit:--disable-static"
REPLACE="glib:--prefix=/opt/gnome:--prefix=/usr"

  I tried several different tacks, to no avail. I guess I'd have to go
through the entire `gbuild' shell script with a fine tooth-comb, but
reverting to my own scripts was easier :-).

  Hope the above is of some diagnostic help.
--
Mike.