RE: Are GNOME apps _supposed_ to open slowly?

On 08-May-99 William R Pentney wrote:

> I've had GNOME on my Debian 2.1 system for a little while now, and despite
> all my efforts to the contrary (installing esd, removing esd, reinstalling
> gtk, gnomelibs, etc.) it still takes 5-10 seconds for any GNOME
> application to open. I've had people tell me this is actually _normal_,
> and that some people on GNOME argued it was a Good Thing (TM). This seems
> very bizarre to me. Is this delay standard for GNOME? If so, I'm afraid
> I'll have to go back to KDE. I like GNOME, but this is very annoying.

This might be a DNS problem (the same that can happen with emacs).
If your DNS is misconfigured, some apps will spend a lot of time trying
to contact the name server (very troublesome if you're not networked)
before looking up /etc/hosts.
That kind of thing happened to me when I upgraded my Slackware distrib
to glibc2: I hadn't read about the new /etc/nsswitch.conf that controls
the order of /etc/hosts and the nameserver check.

E-Mail: Alain Borel <Alain.Borel@icma.unil.ch>
Date: 10-May-99
Time: 11:03:20