desktop GMC selection

I find the following GMC behavior to be a bug, not a feature:
when in a gmc window, if a file is selected, then another window becomes
active, obviously it make sense for the file to remain visually
highlighted. The thing is, the same behavior on the desktop (as it is)
does not make sense. If I highlight a file on the desktop, it implys that
the desktop's instance of gmc is active, because it has no window border.
I think that the behaviour should be unselecting evertything when focus is
lost.

Also, on the desktop, if I have a file selected, GMC does not behave in
the same way it usually does. I cannot use the arrow keys, for instance,
to move between files. This is quite annoying.

Ideas?

--Ben