Re: Are GNOME apps _supposed_ to open slowly?

In message <m390azxne3.fsf@cenderis.demon.co.uk>, Bruce Stephens writes:
+-----
| William R Pentney <pentney@cse.Buffalo.EDU> writes:
| > It's version 1.0.3, from the slink staging area. I have slink.  I
| > have a Pentium 133, w/80 MB RAM. GNOME is a bit of a memory hog, but
| > other apps open without any problem; only the GNOME ones open
| > slowly.
|
| Well, I don't notice any problems.  Some applications *do* start
| slowly.  panel seems to take quite a while to load, for example.  But
| GNOME terminal, for example, seems to start pretty much as fast as
| rxvt.
+--->8

Here's something to consider:  with "esd -as 2", if esd is waiting for the
audio device to become available, GNOME programs will hang on the esd socket
until esd gets the audio device.  (I see this fairly often because the set of
ESD-aware, Solaris-compatible mp3/CD players is empty....)

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu