Gnewbie questions

GNOME looks cool.  I just installed RH6 on my desktop system
and I'm favorably impressed.

However, two things are driving me nuts:

1.  There are icons preinstalled on my desktop which launch
        URLs (www.redhat.com, for example).  This behavior is much
        like the Internet shortcuts available in Windoze, but:

        How do I create my own?  I have looked EVERYWHERE I could
        think of.  They appear to be stored in ~/.gnome-desktop and
        referenced in a file called metadata.db in ~/.gnome but
        I can't figure out how to make them work.  I added a file
        to ~/.gnome-desktop which used a format just like the
        existing ones there (RHcom), and did a Rescan.  The resulting
        icon doesn't seem to know that it's a URL.

2.  When I click on one of the windows listed in the task list
        in the pager in the panel at the bottom of my screen, I
        keep expecting that window to be raised and receive the
        focus.  It doesn't.  Here again, I spent a non-trivial
        amount of time looking for an answer to this problem, and
        I can't find it.  I played with all of the settings for
        enlightenment, and nothing mattered.  Any clues?

Thanks in advance for any pointers to relevant info about these
two problems.

BTW, is the archive of this email list available on the web
somewhere?  The list server's way of accessing the archive is
incredibly tedious:

egrep -i focus latest/*
../.bin/arch_retrieve: /bin/nice: Argument list too long

--
Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman
eric@abisource.com