Installation problems.

Please excuse my feeble requests for information, as I'm a new (Gnew?) user
to Linux from the NT world trying out the Gnome interface.  If I'm directing
this to the wrong forum let me know and I'll head elsewhere.

I installed Redhat 5.2 (everything) & downloaded Gnome 1.0 i386 & noarch
from ftp.cybertrails.com mirror.  I verified the four required rpm's from
the install instructions and then applied the noarch & i386 Gnome rpms.
After editing Xclients I ran startx.  The initial execution gave me a
glimpse of the Gnome desktop (Foot menu button, etc.) and then went to a
blank grey screen with a cursor.  With no keyboard response I hard booted,
subsequent startX commands open the GUI, display the Enlightenment startup
bar to 100%, and then I get my blank screen again.

I've tried deinstalling, however, I've run into a Catch-22 when I run rpm
-e, the response is that the package is not installed, but if I run rpm -Uvh
or -Ivh, the response is that the package is already installed and cannot be
installed.

I realize there are issues here that someone more skilled in the OS would be
able to pinpoint more easily, but with my inexperience I'm hoping that this
forum may be able to offer me some direction.

James Coley
jcole11@alldata.net