Panel and Swallowing Apps

I am trying to get GNOME running on an Alpha platform running OSF1 V4.0. So
far I have managed to build everything okay and I have started using GNOME
full time. I did the install on 23rd March so I have the latest versions of
everything available at that time.

One of the first things I tried was to get the standard 'xload' client to be
swallowed by the Panel just like my previous WM was able to do. However,
when I ask the panel to swallow xload, all I get is a standard xload window
(not swallowed) whose size reflects what it should have been when swallowed.

So why doesn't the panel swallow my 'xload' properly? Is this likely to be
some sort of problem I have when running under OSF1?

If so, then I'd need to dive into the code and figure out what is going on.
Trouble is, I don't really know what happens when an App gets swallowed so
it might be useful if someone could explain that to me in brief.

David Hulse