Re: Getting Panel to load on boot??

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Hall wrote:
> <snip>
> >> will not come up on boot. My current Xclients file is set to:
> >>         gnome-session
> >> I have also tried it with:
> >>         panel &
> >>         /usr/bin/enlightenment
> >
> >The first one should probably be:
> >   exec gnome-session
> >the second one should probably be:
> >   panel &
> >   exec /usr/bin/enlightenment
> <snip>
>
> Uhhh, didn't everyone just tell that "gnome-session", all by itself, was
> sufficient to start Gnome. Doing this causes it to check it's "default.wm"
> file to know which window manager to load also ???

Prefixing the gnome-session command with exec tells shell that its place
in the world is over, and kindly discard itself after it runs
gnome-session.  If you use just "gnome-session", you will have an extra
sh process taking up space doing nothing.

Doing "exec gnome-session" (or just "gnome-session") on GNOME 1.03 or
earlier should cause it to check default.wm to see what window manager it
should be running.

Doing it on the CVS (or Jim Pick's latest tarball snapshots) version of
GNOME (and presumably in the next release)  will cause it to call the
handy-dandy gnome-wm script, which will check your WINDOW_MANAGER
environment variable, and use that as your window manager, or try
enlightenment, icewm, windowmaker and fvwm if it is not set.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef