no gnome

Hi people,

I've installed Gnome from tarballs, altered /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients to
read gnome-session, but Windowmaker still pops up. I also changes
~/.xinitrc to read:

gnome-session&
exec /usr/local/enlightenment/bin/enlightenment

which brings Enlightenment up, but nothing even remotely Gnome-ish makes
an appearance.

Without the ~/.xinitrc file itself (to use system-default), I come up
with a blank screen with a crosshair and nothing else; I hit CTRL-Alt-
Backspace and an error says GDK-ERROR**: an x io error occurred,
aborting.

I have /usr/local/:/usr/local/bin etc in my path. Also, I deleted
~/.gnome, performed startx again, quite E, and .gnome *had* been re-
created.

So what am I doing wrong?

Using RedHat 5.2 all updates, using tarballs to default directory
(/usr/local).

--
James Green