Re: gnome problems

> > 3. Once the whole display froze. So I hit
> > Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill X.
> > But when
> >    I start a new gnome session, my panel is bare. I
> > mean all the
> > launchers, pager,
> >    clock and other applets that I had put on the
> > panel are gone! Where
> > did my
> >    settings go?

they actually are in ~/.gnome/panel.d/

in there you will find two ( or more if you have some dead old sessions...) directories:

one default and another one Sessionxxxx
in those directories you're settings are gone...

the problem is that the 'link' of gnome-session to those setup is broken....

I had this problem to so what I did is more or less this:

1.look whether there are enough files in one of the cited directories that match more or less
   your previous setting. If you don't find any, then I don't know...

2. kill your panel   ( if it starts up again try again....) If you can't get rid of it then I don't
know,
     actually you can try step 3. from outside of X. and restart X... but I don't think this will
work because it's no restart of
    panel  then.... ( or try gnome-session --sm-disable in your .xinitrc  ( maybe this prevents the
panel from infinite resurrection ))

3.look at ~/.gnome/session about a line about panel and restart... edit this one to match to the
directory you suppose is good

4. launch the panel again.

if you're lucky you have your old setup back if not try hacking around in the mentioned files, until
it works

I got this to work this way once but can't clearly remember how....
but with your .emacs exerience you will get it I think....
( I always kept my fingers away from the .emacs file, they're just way too complicated...:)

edit the files under ~/.gnome/panel.d/Session...
have a look at the entries like numberOfApplets, numberOfPanels.. in

good luck

bye the way I'm still using panel 1.0.1, so maybe this doesn't work anymore with later releases....

remo