Re: gnome configuration

>  2. a look at my home directory almost gave me a heart attack! :-)
>     I have there:
>          - an *EMPTY* directory "~/.gnome_private",
>          - ~/.gnome-desktop, which is (apparently) created by gmc
>     and which, again, I do not want (no, I do **NOT** want these stupid
>     icons on my desktop!)

If you don't want icons, select them all and delete them.  It's that
simple.

>  3. gmc would have been quite useful if it didn't crash so often and if I
>     could make it lauch gnuclient instead of emacs.  Also, I see no
>     reason to require me to confirm exit *twice*.

Saying "it crashes a lot" does not help me fix it.  Find a way to
duplicate a bug and mail the mailing list about it, or log a bug
report in the bug tracker.

You can configure the default editor using the control-center and the
edit properties capplet.

Those insidious confirmation messages are there so that you will read
them.  Clueless newbies will have a hard time trying to restart the
file manager if they exit it.  And normally you do not want or need to
exit the file manager, anyways; you can just close all its windows.
If you want a new window, you can open a new one from the popup menu
in the desktop.

  Federico