Re: gnome configuration

 >> >  2. a look at my home directory almost gave me a heart attack! :-)
 >> >     I have there:
 >> >          - an *EMPTY* directory "~/.gnome_private",
 >> >          - ~/.gnome-desktop, which is (apparently) created by gmc
 >> >     and which, again, I do not want (no, I do **NOT** want these stupid
 >> >     icons on my desktop!)
 >>
 >> If you don't want icons, select them all and delete them.  It's that
 >> simple.

Aha!  I kept doing `rm -rf ~/.gnome-desktop` and gmc kept re-creating
them on startup!  Now I see the light! ;-)
Okay, so I *must* have the directory, even if empty.
Can it at least be renamed ~/.gnome/desktop?

 >> >  3. gmc would have been quite useful if it didn't crash so often and if I
 >> >     could make it lauch gnuclient instead of emacs.  Also, I see no
 >> >     reason to require me to confirm exit *twice*.
 >>
 >> Saying "it crashes a lot" does not help me fix it.  Find a way to
 >> duplicate a bug and mail the mailing list about it, or log a bug
 >> report in the bug tracker.

Okay: I opened an ftp connection in gmc, and now I have #ftp:host in the
top level tree.  how do I get rid of it?  when I click on the line with
#ftp, everything freeses: the mouse pointer becomes clock and I cannot
switch focus away from gmc - I have to switch to the text console and
kill -9 gmc, then it unfreeses (but doesn't die -- how did you do
that?!)

$ cd ~
$ rm -f .gnome-desktop/*
$ ln -s ~ .gnome-desktop/home
$ gmc

mouse3 on home icon ==> properties ==> gmc is restarted (apparently
after a crash).

the "home" icon looks like this

===================================  <----------- what is this bar for?

   picture of a file folder
                        arrow
     word: "home"

what is the bar above the picture for?

 >> You can configure the default editor using the control-center and
 >> the edit properties capplet.

what is "control-center"?
I don't have such an executable (I have control-panel from RH)
what is a "capplet"?

how do I tell gmc to use gnuclient instead of emacs?

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat5.2 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,