gnome problems

I have lots of problems with gnome.
I hope this is the right place to discuss them. I
could not get much
help
searching dejanews archives.
BTW, are there any gnome related discussion groups?

I am new to Linux (not new to UNIX though).

Here it goes:
First about my machine.

Celeron 300, 64MB RAM, ATI Xpert 98 AGP (yes, I use
XF86_Mach64).
With RedHat 5.2. and Gnome 1.0

1. Gnome starts with the default window manager as
E. How do I change it?
   NO. I could not do it thru' Control-Center. When I
click on Window Manager I don't see anything at all.
2. When I click middle mouse button in root window I
get E menus. Once I clicked on
   logout menu option on that menu. What it only did
was to shut down E. But not the gnome session. So I
logged out by selecting Logout from the Panel
system menu.
   Now when I next time start a gnome-session, E
won't start. What'swrong?

3. Once the whole display froze. So I hit
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill X.
But when
   I start a new gnome session, my panel is bare. I
mean all the
launchers, pager,
   clock and other applets that I had put on the
panel are gone! Where
did my
   settings go?
4. gdm won't let me login ever. I double chekcked. I
always type my
password
   correctly. No luck. I have a user/group gdm. But
it won't work.

--
Amit Bapat

Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand
its simplicity.
-Dennis Ritchie