RE: Gnome Problems

	On Thursday, March 04, 1999 3:02 PM, Dirk Meilinger wrote:

	>Hey Peder,

>  >   I tried that very thing and got all kind of error messages, did not
> look
	>good at all.  Thats why I wanted to scrap it and start from
scratch.  Do you
	>happen to know how ?

	>Thanx.

> >>Anyone gotten the Failed Dependancies message on installing GNOME 1.0 ?
> >>I installed gtk+1.0.6-3 from RH RPMS directory to no avail.  Any
> solutions
> >?
> >
> >I got the same thing.  I ran "rpm -Uvh *.rpm --nodeps " and everything
> >installed ok and it is running fine.
> >
> >>I would like to remove all of GNOME and start over from scratch, anyone
> >know
> >>the easiest way to accomplish this ?
> >
> >I suspect that if you got the "failed dependencies" message that it never
> >really installed anything, so I would just try the command above.

I reply:

With the --nodeps option, you will remove the old gtk+ and glib libraries
needed by some of the older Redhat apps (such as Redhat's Control Panel,
Disk Mount tool, Usernet).  That's why you get the failure message when you
try rpm -Uvh without the --nodeps option.  These old libraries are needed
for those other apps to work correctly.

A better fix:

Get the gtk+10 and glib10 rpms from one of the old Gnome distributions via
FTP (i.e. the 0.98 version).  Install these first and then do the Gnome
install.  The gtk+10 and glib10 rpms will install the old version libraries
needed by the other apps on your system but since the rpms are named
differently, the old libraries will not be unistalled when doing rpm -Uvh.

Good Luck.

Bill