Re: more GMC ideas

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 08:34:58AM -0500, Eric Wood was heard to say:
> Since we're on a roll here, this is what I think would be super - no
> other file manager I know can do this.
>
> 1. In GMC, right click on an object on under the properties window,
> there is a RPM tab.  This tab shows you what package owns this file, the
> package description and it's brother and sister files.  Also it shows
> you what parts of the file didn't verify, ie, permissions, MD5 checksum,
> documentation, etc.
>
> 2. If the permissions or wrong you can click "Fix perms" and it'll
> default the Permission tab.
>
> 3. Finally, a call to GnoRPM under the Commands menu.
>
> I don't know, I just think it would solve lots of file admin problems.

  [ shudder ]

  No actually I think this is potentially good, but tying it to RPMs is
bad.  Could CORBA/Baboon be used here?  I can think of some really interesting
things you could do with exporting gnome-apt features to gmc.  Unfortunately,
I don't know anything about CORBA and thus have no clue about how to go about
implementing this. :-)

  Daniel

--
  Using a metaphor in front of Ridcully was like a red rag to a--was like
using something very annoying in the presence of someone who was very annoyed

              -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_