Re: CVS Faq

Richard Hult wrote:

> > I have updated Soren Harwards CVS tutorial and included Enlightenment
> > CVS to it...
>
> Maybe you should add that you need libtool 1.2d (or is it e?).
>
> And do solaris etc users really need gcc? Can someone confirm this?

Confirmed, unless there were releases in the past few days. I've been
sick, so I don't know what was happening since last Thursday.

gsl can't be built with ANSI C compiler because it uses `inline' keyword.
I've reported this to the maintainer some time ago, but haven't got
any reply, so I don't know if that will be changed. This can be easily
fixed via configure script.

ORBit was using a lot of gccisms, but that was promptly fixed and now
the code in CVS can be compiled with an ANSI C compiler.

I didn't check any of the packages depending on ORBit and I don't know
if they are ANSI clean or not.

Nothing can be built with Apogee C compiler, due to configure scripts.
First it fails in finding the appropriate flag for position independent
code, so it disables shared library building. Then the build fails
because linker can't work with the produced statical libraries.
Libtool tries to link with libraries in /usr/ucb (on Solaris) which is
a complete nonsense, since those are BSD compatibility things and are
really not needed for building Gnome. I don't know how to use libtool,
autoconf, automake & co., so fixing this is not very high on my
priority list. However, pointers to the appropriate documentation would be
appreciated.

There are reports of succesfull builds with Sun's C++ compiler (at least
for ORBit), but I have my doubts about this environment, since ORBit
required flex and GNU indent. CVS code can work with Sun's indent now,
but I think that flex is still mandatory.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.